If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Wittenberg - Dry as a bone 7/15/2012

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
Jon

Wittenberg - Dry as a bone 7/15/2012

Unread post by Jon »

So hiked up wittenberg. I will have to say it's my favorite mountain so far. I don't know why I keep coming back to it. I was playing risk one night and a friend of mine from high school and I started to talk about hiking and things like the appalachian trail. He was saying how a guy, Mike, that he knew in high school hiked that and the pacific crest trail. We argued about what he ate along way and whether or not he hunted as he went. Anyways we decided to go hiking since he'd never been to the catskills.

The only mountains I have left for the 3500 are trailless and have limited views. So I decided to take him on a sure bet of a view and bring him up wittenberg. I always like to say that wittenberg has "just about everything a catskill hike has to offer" It's got the elevation, the river crossing, the waterfall, the pines, the view at the summit. It's a great peak to take someone who'd never seen the area. So we started out early at about 8 and got to the parking lot by 10.

We went to go buy a day-pass for the parking lot and it just so happens that the guy mike that he knew who had hiked all these trails was working at the campground. It was like a weird twist of the universe. I took the chance to inquire about what he ate along the way, and we started out to the parking lot. We also had a black squirrel cross our path. So I don't know what fate had in store for us.

The weather was hot and muggy it was in the 80's but seemed even hotter. \

the falling forest:

Hiking along through the pine forests

Normally I pass the waterfall and this time it was not even flowing. There was not a single stream the whole way across wittenberg that was flowing. It has been very dry. We saw some backpackers who were from germany, and I told them about the spring that was on Slide, but who knows if anything is flowing. I plan on going backpacking this weekend, and I don't even know where a sure-thing water supply would be.

The 3500 sign is on the ground again.

It started thundering and pouring, so when we went to the summit I stashed my camera in a waterproof bag and left my stuff under some trees. There was barely a view, we only saw some of the Ashokan reservoir, everything else was in clouds.

On the way back down the clouds parted and the sun came out momentarily while we were at a small glimpse of a view through the trees:

Back at the woodland valley creek, it doesn't even seem like there's a need for a bridge now

Anyways I guess he got robbed, there was no waterfall, no astounding view, and we got pretty wet. Still had a great time and got to see some cool forests and 1/2 a view.

Hopefully there'll be better luck with the water situation by next week.
mtnclimber

Re: Wittenberg - Dry as a bone 7/15/2012

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Wittenberg Mtn is a very nice hike. On a clear day, the view is magnificent. Sorry your friend didn't get to see a great view. The pictures in the forest looked nice. Last weekend was quite hot. You guys are brave for going hiking in the humidity and heat. Nice reading your trail report.