If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Wittenberg - Cornell 6/10/12

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
Jon

Wittenberg - Cornell 6/10/12

Unread post by Jon »

So since I took my buddy on some hikes that had barely a view (friday / KHP with clouds) I promised that this weekend we'd hit something with a big panaramo. So we aimed for Wittenberg and Cornell. The weather report had those little lightning bolt things and said isolated thunder storms. We chanced it. We got to Mile 88 on the NY Thruway (view of the Catskills) and saw nothing but clouds. Uh oh. By the time we got to woodland valley it was spotty, but there was some sunshine. The humidity was ridiculous.

Parking lot

$6 charge during camping season

Woodland Creek

Passing the registration box.

The falling forest

intersection to the lean-to trail

Climbing

Someone hung the 3500 sign back up. Wasn't there last time I was here

Finally

Summit of Wittenberg

Clouds are all around, robbing us of most of the views.

Honeysuckle all over the bruin pass

Cornell Crack

Wittenberg

Slide mtn.

Slide Mtn.

Rdy to go back to NJ?
mike

Re: Wittenberg - Cornell 6/10/12

Unread post by mike »

Great pictures. I love the view from Wittenberg. Even if the view isn't perfect. Glad the weather cooperated with you.

How did you like Cornell's Crack?
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

I didn't have much of a problem with it. I think it looks worse than it is. I just jam my boots in there and it takes one step and I pull up. I've got long arms and legs though.
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Great photos. Those are 2 of the 15 high peaks I have left. Quick question, how were the bugs? I've heard the blackflies can get really bad. I'm thinking of taking my brother up to the Catskills for his first time on Thursday. I don't want to scare him away, just going to do Giant Ledge.
mike

Unread post by mike »

the Black Flies haven't been that bad this year. I would spray yourself with a little bug spray to keep the critters away. The ADK's are a whole different story.
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Thanks for information Mike. That is great to hear. One of my friends was up in the ADK's last weekend and he said he was eaten alive despite using bug spray.