If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

New to the forum - sayin' hi...

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
Sam

Re: New to the forum - sayin' hi...

Unread post by Sam »

My buddy and I managed to enjoy our four climbs with an additional slew of bushwhacks this winter. Then again we hit the trail after/during every snow storm, squall, and dusting. Lots of fun without snowshoes, crampons, and poles. Makes it a bit more challenging ;). Can't say it was "haggard" "existential", or "daunting", but there were absolutely aspects of the sublime and picturesque. Which put the Catskills on the map. Way back when.

I'd have to say North Dome was the most difficult we tackled this season. Lots of Ice, as well as a squall that blew in, while we were signing in at the canister. To say the least we were very present and aware of our surroundings during the slow descent.

I drove across country back in December...I took Rt. 40 from Asheville, NC and passed through Amarillo, TX. As long as you're not from Amarillo then there will be no flipping of the bird... :D

Enjoy the hills of the North East. Much different than the West. Most of my friends who have relocated feel boxed in here, but they unwind eventually and come around to the "lushness" and all of the "Water", in this area...

Adios Muchachos
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Out west is much different then the east coast. Lots of trees here. But, some areas of the Catskills can be very steep. Every area has it's charm.
bigsilk

Unread post by bigsilk »

Well, since I first posted, took out Fir, and then Balsam and Eagle.

For the Fir 'whack, we stayed at Biscuit Brook lean-to. What a setup. Beautiful view of the brook, a s#!tter, access to water, nice fire pit. Just great.

Somebody left 19 Bud Lites there. Me and my buddy drank that free beer to death. Not a big fan of BL, but I am a big fan of free beer. Tasty Bites and sleep.

We started up at about 10:30. Another beautiful day, temps in the low forties to start, then rose steadily into the upper fifties. Lots of blowdown, making the trip a little longer - almost like a bunch of short switchbacks.

If you do it, and you should, it's important to stay along the ridge. Mess around and end up in the draws and you're talking some mossy, muddy yuck.

Missed the canister at the top, but found it after wandering about for fifteen minutes.

Now, about that mess... On the way back down, I was sent up ahead to recon a path, and took us right into the draw on the right. It wasn't too bad, got some good water to refill our bottles and bladders. But it did add maybe another half hour. It's not like we had anything better to do, right?

Got back to the lean-to at about 2.

Food, sleep.

Next morning, stopped off at Olive's for a burger.

Then Eagle/Balsam...

As you near the trailhead (or what you think is the trailhead) you'll see a sign, a parking lot, and a very nice bridge... to nowhere.

Seriously, we walked across the bridge, and on the other side there is what would be, to even the most grizzled 'whacker, a formidable sight: A 15°, brush-choked scramble up loose dirt. BUT...

If you get back in your car and drive another 150' down the road to the next small parking lot, you'll see the real trailhead.

A quick fifteen-minute meander to the McKinley Hollow lean-to, near some creek. Another nice setup - and this one even had a latrine. Not as close to water as BB, but still accessible. Pretty swank.

Met up with a friend that lives in the area. I'll put it this way, the hike to the lean-to is so easy, she brought a twelve pack with her. My buddy brought food for stir fry.

The night was probably in the mid-thirties - good sleeping weather.

Next morning, after pancakes, (we were not playing around on this one,) we started off towards the junction where you can go to the right and head up Balsam, or to the left to hit Haynes/Eagle. We decided on Haynes/Eagle to start. Pretty nice hike. Nothing too challenging except for a couple of rock scrambles. The black flies were starting to get bad, though. If you sneeze, you'll miss the fact that you've peaked Haynes. Nothing there to see. On up through 3500' and the Balsams. It was warm enough now that you could really smell them. We added a little something to the cairn (no sign here, nor can.) And headed back down.

When we got back to the junction, me and my friend from the area decided to tackle Balsam. We were tired, but figured, "Hey, we're here, right?" Our other partner decided to head back to the lean-to.

We had to find water, first. There is a spring there, but you have to look for it. If you face the way you were when approaching the junction from the trail coming from the lean-to, keep walking straight. You'll see where it drops off. To the left is a rock that looks like a platform. Get on that, move to the far edge and climb down. You'll see it. It's a slow trickle, though.

The hike up Balsam is pretty steep, but it goes by quickly. Again some rock scrambles. Once you hit the 3500' sign, you think you're just about done, but the last 400' of elevation goes on for like a quarter of a mile or so.

And here's when things got tough. We made our way back to the junction, and the hike back to the lean-to isn't at all technical, but it's ALL a long, rocky, downhill slog. My partner stopped a few merciful times to pick ramps (wild leeks.) I prayed for the sound of the creek.

Finally, back to the lean-to and Tasty Bites with cous-cous, the other half of the twelve pack, and bed.

We dragged butt a bit the next morning, and stopped off at Olive's for breakfast.

Great trip.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Great trip report Bigsilk. Really enjoyed reading about your adventures.

Free beer? Nothing beats free beer. And, you didn't even have to haul it in!

Haynes Mtn doesn't really feel like a summit, but it is.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Sounds like you guys had a good time and a great hike.

Nice trip report
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Great trip report, fun to read! I cannot wait to hike Panther and Giant Ledge sometime this summer... I've been a bum with the Catskill hiking since mid winter and have only have hit Kaaterskill Falls about a month ago.

Keep them coming!