If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

New plan based on the mild weather

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
pdogg81

New plan based on the mild weather

Unread post by pdogg81 »

Since the other hike we were planning could end up being boring without any snow, we're thinking about doing Slide, Panther, Cornell, and Wittenberg instead. The forecast seems to be showing above freezing temps and even a little rain to de-ice things from now through the end of our trip, but in the higher elevations I know it gets a bit colder than the weather channel data.

Has anybody been up there since it's warmed up? I saw Jon's post from February but I'm not sure if anyone has checked it out since then. We both have microspikes and good poles but not crampons. Since it's been so warm this winter it seems like a good time to knock out a couple of the winter required summits for the 3500' club.
mtnclimber

Re: New plan based on the mild weather

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Still snow and ice up on those peaks. Maybe by the weekend they will have melted. The east side of Slide and Cornell Crack can be quite challenging in good weather during the summer. I would make sure that everything has melted before doing those 3. Panther can be done anytime of the year. What peaks do you have left on your list?
pdogg81

Unread post by pdogg81 »

I've got a lot left. My friend has only 4 of 5 left plus the 4 winter hikes, but I've only done:

Balsam Lake, Doubletop, Lone, Rocky, Blackhead, Black dome, Thomas Cole, Indian Head, Sugarloaf, Hunter, SW Hunter, Rusk, Twin and Plateau. I may have also done Overlook because I'm pretty sure we stayed at the echo lake lean-to once and had to hike out of there during a pretty steady rain storm.

Mostly I went along for the ride on a lot of trips and will probably finish them all at some point since I'm almost halfway through. From tallest to shortest, I believe these are the ones I have left:

Slide, Westkill, Graham, Cornell, Table, Wittenberg, Panther, Big Indian, Friday, KHP, Balsam Cap, Fir, North Dome, Eagle, Balsam, Bearpen, Sherrill, Vly, Windham High Peak, Halcott.

Plus I haven't done any of the 4 winter hikes. Could knock off two of the winter ones on this trip and return to them when it's easier in the summer later on.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

sounds like a fun trip! please take pictures and post some trail reports.

I would suggest just drive up with all your gear in your trunk, and try to take a look at the conditions when you pass by the peaks. If there's white, bring your spikes. If you only see mountain, leave em in the car.

I have a feeling with these warm temps things might be a lil bit muddy and sloppy up there.

I would love to go on a backpacking trip through the Burroughs range. I'm on spring break this week when are you guys going?
mike

Unread post by mike »

As of this morning the snow line was around 2500-3000'. Above there you may need snowshoes. Last weekend, everyone was using snowshoes. Unfortunately, I have to work this week. Otherwise, I would join you.
pdogg81

Unread post by pdogg81 »

We're going to head up sometime tomorrow, depending on when I get my car back. Looks like we'll be getting wet though. I'll post up some pictures and other info once we get back.
pdogg81

Unread post by pdogg81 »

We intended to climb Slide on Friday and stay in the campsite between slide and cornell (then down to the woodland valley and up to Panther), but after hitting the summit on Slide there was a few very steep ice slides that I wasn't comfortable attempting even with microspikes. Instead of a loop we went up slide friday, back down saturday morning and then up to the ledges. Knocked out Panther in the late morning on Sunday and headed home. I'll get into more details and post pictures later.... haven't had any time to go through stuff since we got back last night.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Coming up the Slide from the Big Indian side is real easy. But, once you go down the other side it gets real steep with some difficult ledges. If they are icy, I surely wouldn't try to go down them. You make the right decision. Last year a guy fell on the Cornell Crack and dislocated his shoulder. Took him 24 hrs to get to the ER. He was in a lot of pain.