If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Slide Mtn. 12-23

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
Jon

Slide Mtn. 12-23

Unread post by Jon »

Got up at 6:00 picked up a hiking buddy. Left NJ by like 7:30, got to trailhead by 9:45. Summit by 12:00.
"chilled" (literally lol) at summit for about 1 hr, left at 1:00, got to car by 2:45. Went the basic way, Yellow trail to Red trail to summit.
Trail junction

There was about 6 inches of fresh powder above 3500 feet, and the rocks were starting to get slippery.

The cloud robbed us of the fantastic views, which I could only image would have been National Geographic type material. The cloud we were in was depositing thick amounts of snow and ice directly onto the trees. The entire valley must have been crusted in white. Oh well, better luck next time. Still was some fun in the snow.

Fresh powder

Robbed of a view

Summit

After spending about an hour on the summit waiting for the clouds to leave, the sun peeked at us a few times when we were in the pines by the burrough's rock.
Hanging out :D

Never burned off and we went back down the way we came to car.

Pics- https://picasaweb.google.com/stelling.jon/SlideMountain
Last edited by Jon on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike

Re: Slide Mtn. 12-23

Unread post by mike »

The view by Burrough's Plaque is now limited by overgrowth of trees. But, the view point a little down the trail gives a very good view to the North. But, it really sucks when you get cheated out of a view. I always like a good view. Sometimes I will wait at the top until it clears. When I finally give up and I am half way back down the skies clear up.

Hope you had a good time otherwise. I always like hiking in a little snow.
Jon

Re: Slide Mtn. 12-23

Unread post by Jon »

mike wrote: When I finally give up and I am half way back down the skies clear up.
I was waiting for this to happen. Usually when it's cloudy 1/2 way down the skies clear up and I'm kicking myself.
Never happened, it just started raining/hailing/snowing/whatevering more as we got back to the car.

Skies didn't clear up until we were back in New Jersey, and by then we just saw stars =)