If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Peekamoose 12-11-11

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
Jon

Peekamoose 12-11-11

Unread post by Jon »

Hi, I'm new to the forum thought I'd share my latest hike:

https://picasaweb.google.com/stelling.jon/Peekamoose

Left NJ at about 8ish got to trailhead by 10ish, Summit by 12:30, back to car by 2:30.

Parked at Peekamoose trailhead. The signs on rt 42 (peekamoose rd) said road closed, but a nice lady walking down the road to church in the town of peekamoose told me that the parking area for the trailhead was accessible. The road was in bad shape, probably still from Irene. It was only 1/2 there in some places, I didn't really want to drive down it but needed to reach that trailhead.

The trail seemed to take forever, probably because of the lack of intersections or other points of interest to break up the 3 mile stretch to the first viewpoint.

The trail register. This one is oddly far away from the parking area like Wittenberg's for a while I thought I had missed it by the PA.

Reconoiter rock? Not too sure...

passing 3500

First viewpoint

Typical summit climb in the pines Some steep slippery spots.

There were plenty of flat parts that I moved fast across, but it definately seemed like a heck of a lot more than 3 miles to the top. It seemed that every time I saw a "summit" dome, I would ascend to that, and reach another flat part with another Summit dome.
somewhere on one of many flat parts

Once at the summit I heard what I first thought was a police siren or ambulance, but then it started to sound more like dogs yelping. maybe coyotes? I dunno but it was coming in the direction of Lone Mtn.

summit

Shot from the top of summit rock

You can see the peekamoose rd closed signs. That's the way I came from O.o
Last edited by Jon on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtnclimber

Re: Peekamoose 12-11-11

Unread post by mtnclimber »

that is one LONG hike up that side of Peekamoose Mtn. I think it is easier from Denning PA. Lots of vertical that never seems to end. Your pictures looked real nice.

Nice to know that you can now get up the road. Thanks for posting.