If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Witteberg Cornell Slide ... and back!

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
TobiasTicetonyk

Witteberg Cornell Slide ... and back!

Unread post by TobiasTicetonyk »

OK, I'll stop spamming this website after this... in the middle of September 2011 I really wanted to do this route. I decided it would be much more fun if instead of doing the regular loop that involves Giant Ledge and route 47, I'd just camp at the base of Slide near 47 near a water source, and just hike back to Woodland Valley. See things twice, and get a different perspective on the trail. My first day I did all three, started at Woodland Valley, add descended on the Curtis Ormsbee trail. I then had to decide. East Branch Neversink or the random water sources? I decided against the neversink... save that adventure for another adventure. So I camped in the woods near the Curtis Ormsbee bridge, going upstream for water. Day 2, I hiked back over Slide, and camped in that glorious red spruce grove below Cornell. Day 3, bright and early up Cornell. Hung out at the view right above "the crack" for hours... I really love that spot. Cornell is my favorite mountain the Catskills. Towering right over Wittenberg Valley and Cold Brook Road. Every day on the trip down to Bennett... and then Onteora, I'd just look right up at them, knowing that another monster, Slide, loomed behind them. So on my last day there, when I ascended Cornell with the sun saturating my vision (I like that effect, but it's probably going to make me go blind someday), it was like some sort of grand shamanic ascension through the Axis Mundi of my personal Catskill Cosmology. ANYWAY, here you go. Now that I know how to post photo URLs I'll post both a slideshow link and a ton of random pictures that I think highlight the journey.

A last note: because of Irene, I noticed that the moss, lichen, and fungus growth EXPLODED in the end of summer. The summits around then also smelled like pure death. Big mushrooms everywhere. not sure if it was death or fungus rot.

Slideshow:
http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pict ... &album=736

Why couldn't I hold the camera level?!?!??!
... or level for this one?!!

Too many?
Mitch

Re: Witteberg Cornell Slide ... and back!

Unread post by Mitch »

Too many? Phst. I love it! Keep them coming. :D
dave

Re: Witteberg Cornell Slide ... and back!

Unread post by dave »

You can post as many trail reports as you like. Your trail reports always have great photos and good stories. I am sure many of our lurkers like them. Keep the good stories coming.