If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Solstice Clove

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
TobiasTicetonyk

Solstice Clove

Unread post by TobiasTicetonyk »

Solstice Clove is a magical tributary of the Rondout Creek. It is on state land.

There are probably too many photos in these slideshows, but think of viewing it as listening to an extended piece of music. I picked out photos from three trips to this place, and they are in order, so you will be in a kind of "virtual tour" of the Solstice Clove. The first slideshow, taken (I think) on the summer solstice, was my first expedition through this place with my father. The other two were to quench my addiction. I grew up in the Catskills and was practically raised in Peekamoose and Devil's Kitchen (photos of platte clove and Black Chasm to come eventually), so these adventures were very meaningful. I hope you're able to sit through the pictures... I think it's worth it. Starts out with typical tributary pictures... then you get around a corner and there's the beginning of the flumes/pools. When I came across the first tall one I was yelping like a maniac...

Right now I'm using Shutterfly for slideshow/full screen photo collection sharing... any other ideas where uploading is unlimited and free? For some reason shutterfly has to stick their logo on the side of the full screen slideshow, squishing my photo and making it look all pixelated, ruining the crisp water shots.

Slideshow 1:

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pict ... &album=189

Slideshow 2:

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pict ... &album=267

Slideshow 3:

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pict ... &album=378

UPDATE!! For your and my viewing ease, I am slapping some of my favorite pictures from the clove here so you don't have to sit through the slideshow, which butchers and pixelates the picture quality. They are in no particular order. They span across 3 different photography excursions. They are awesome.

VIDEO!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oixqZxtoi_M

1Image

2Image

3Image

4Image

5Image

6Image

7Image

8Image

9Image

10Image

11Image

12Image

13Image

14Image

15Image

16Image

17Image

18Image

19Image

20Image

21Image

22Image

23Image

24Image

25Image

26Image

27Image

28Image

29Image
Last edited by TobiasTicetonyk on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
mike

Re: Solstice Clove

Unread post by mike »

Great photos. Enjoyed looking at them. But, I don't know where Solstice Clove is?

I would like to visit it next year. There are really nice waterfalls.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Wow! Those pics are awesome! Didn't know they had waterfalls out that way. but, I don't know where Solstice Clove is?
TobiasTicetonyk

Solstice Clove is just what I call it. To get access, park at the lower field Peekamoose-sundown parking area, and walk up past the campsites (upstream), eventually you'll find a tributary and there you go. I have a feeling that Irene put a few trees in the deep holes though... as there were already some dead ones precariously balancing above the little pools.

Wear watershoes, as you must go up the stream the entire way (except to get around the two main falls). Every main fall has a spot where the water is over one's head. My favorite is the little jacuzzi.
TobiasTicetonyk