If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Balsam Cap & Friday Mountains

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
mike

Balsam Cap & Friday Mountains

Unread post by mike »

On Sunday I headed to the Ashokan Reservoir to do a difficult hike. While it was difficult, it was also very rewarding. While it was only 7.7 miles, it took 7 hours to complete. It also had one of the largest elevation gains of 2,800 vertical feet.

Balsam Cap mountain has a beautiful ledge that overlooks the Ashokan Reservoir. Today was a Blue-bird day with clear blue skies. Perfect for this hike. Friday Mountain is known to be difficult. Mainly because it is surrounded by steep and difficult ledges. There are two access points up thru the ledges. I planned on doing both breaks in the ledges.

I was too tired to visit the B-25 air force jet that crashed around 2,700'. The snow was great. No snow on the bottom, but 4' of snow on top. I snowshoed from 1900' up to 3660'.

Here are some pictures:

Views of the Ashokan Reservoir

Views of Cornell mountain & Wittenberg Mtn from Balsam Cap Mountain

Views of the Devil's Path & the Ashokan Reservoir from Balsam Cap Mountain

Views of the Devil's Path from Balsam Cap Mountain
mtnclimber

Re: Balsam Cap & Friday Mountains

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Wow! those photos are great. what a nice day to be hiking. I see a lot of snow up there on top. I have heard of this hike many times, but never thought about doing it.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Nice hike. I would really like to visit the b-25 plane crash some time
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, the photos are beautiful. My favorite is the shot looking north of Cornell and Wittenberg. Stunning! Likewise, I would also be interested in seeing the B25 plane wreck some time. I've attached a link to a website listing documented plane wrecks in the Catskills.

http://chayden.net/Catskills/Notes/AircraftCrashes.html

Thanks,
Rich
dave

Unread post by dave »

We now have the Balsam Cap Mtn and Friday Mtn hike on-line. The map on this link shows where the plane crash is: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/SMW-bc-friday.html
mike

Unread post by mike »

I was too tired to hike down to the plane crash. It was a LONG day. But, I do want to return to the plane crash. I have a long list of hikes over the next month. The Cheyden site has removed some of the information.