If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Table & Peekamoose from the Neversink

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
dave

Table & Peekamoose from the Neversink

Unread post by dave »

Took a day off last week and hiked both Table Mtn and Peekamoose Mountain. With temperatures so low, and the air so crisp, it was a perfect time to hike both mountain. I had considered hiking it from Sundown, but changed my mind. The walk up the east branch of the neversink river is very nice.

Left the house early, but it was still 10 am before I arrived at the end of Denning Road. No one was there. That makes it even better. The walk up the old deer park road was nice. Really enjoyed the forest walk. Then I crossed the two bridges on the Neversink River. Not really a river. After about 1.5 miles the incline started. Nothing terrible, but a nice climb. A few view points on the way up, but nothing great. Stopped by Frank's Lean-to. Still in pretty good shape. Hit the summit of Table. Not really a summit, but a table top mountain. Walked across the long summit. Nice walk. Then walked down to the col. Then walked up to the summit of Peekamoose. Checked out the new view point that someone cut last year. Here are some pictures:

Taken from the new view point cut on Peekamoose Mtn

First bridge over the Neversink

rock field just after the bridges

Ferns part way up Table Mtn

Walk between Table Mtn and Peekamoose Mtn

Climb up the eastern side Table Mtn from the col
mtnclimber

Re: Table & Peekamoose from the Neversink

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Cool pics!
mike

Unread post by mike »

Nice review Dave. I haven't been back there in quite a while. I used to camp in sundown when I was a teenager. You certainly picked a nice day to go hiking. Last week was so wonderful. then the weekend came and it got so hot!
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

I had always been told that Peekamoose was a difficult hike without view. Seems that there is now a good view from the top. Very nice pictures.
dave

Unread post by dave »

We now have the Table and Peekamoose Mountain hike listed on the site. You can view it here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/SMW-peekamoose.html
mike

Unread post by mike »

Looks great!