If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Panther via Giant Ledge

Balsam Cap, Breath, Cornell, Cross, East Wildcat, Friday, Garfield, Giant Ledge, Hanover, Lone, Panther, Peekamoose, Pleasant, Rocky, Romer, Samuals Point, Slide, Table, Terrace, Van Wyck, Wittenberg, Wildcat, Woodhull
traprocker

Panther via Giant Ledge

Unread post by traprocker »

I was feeling the effects of a cold so decided to do the "easy" climb up Panther using the standard route over giant ledge. Arriving at 9 and 42 degrees,there was only a lone car at the PA. The climb up to the Giant ledge right out of the car was pretty hard, a steep rock strewn, but pleasant mess. One on Giant Ledge i poked around and found one pair of hikers enjoying the view of the fall peak. I checked out the designated campsite - really several in a large area- and there was a nice view of Fir, Big Indian and Eagle beyond the main site.

Back on the trail past the many ledges, I thought L 1 and L 4 were the best. Another primitive campsite was located just above the col,with a real old fire ring among the spruce beyond the clearing. The climb immediately out of the col went through a Dr. Seuss style boulder field- there was a running spring to the left of the trail at the top of the field. Once beyond t he 3500 foot sign, I clambered down from an open rock into a huge fern meadow, where in the center was a large animal bed area. Back on the trail, it was a nice ascent past more meadows and ancient moss covered forest to the summit. The summit sign was missing and there was An illegal campsite was near the summit ledge, I went to the second view- pretty nice, then went north another 100 yard. descending a bit to a tiny ledge view, overlooking the Pantherkill valley, the view here was not as expansive as the other two ledges.

One the descent,i checked out the panther side view, also nice , then poked around the Seuss boulders some more, admiring their strange forms. Out this way i only came across a hiking pair, and surprisingly, one pair on Giant ledge on way back. I did notice 32 signed the register after me, all to giant ledge.

Total time was a leisurely 6.5 hours.