If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bringing the Mountain's past back to life.

Discussion of anything else that doesn't fit into the other forum categories.
CHRISTINE

Bringing the Mountain's past back to life.

Unread post by CHRISTINE »

Hi, I love the Catskill Mountains, they have been a part of my family for 4 generations, starting from back in the 1920's. As a little boy in the early 1930's my Dad use to walk here to buy milk from the then Dairy farm. In the early 70's my Dad purchased this land and Barn from the Shapiro's. It has always held a beauty unexplainable to me even as a little girl. My Father had dreams of preserving it's weathered beauty but bringing it back to life, unfortunately he passed away soon after retirement and so the Barn sat unattended to. I recently took over the Barn and it's surrounding land and have begun to see my fathers ( as well as my own) dream through. I will continue to post our progress for those of you who may be interested. If anyone had any info regarding the history of this Barn I would love to hear about it. We are located in Acra. The photo's I have posted are from 2010 and from 2012 there has been quite a bit done since then and I will be posting again shortly. Enjoy :)[/b]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Re: Bringing the Mountain's past back to life.

Unread post by mike »

You want to replace that roof soon. Most barns fail because of water damage. But, it is looking good.

I do like that you used red and white paint. Historically, most barns were this color. They would make red by adding iron to the paint. And most paint back then had a milk base.
CHRISTINE

Re: Bringing the Mountain's past back to life.

Unread post by CHRISTINE »

Thanks for the reply, yes the roof is next on our list we had some patching done but the next big repair will be the roof. Slowly but surely :)