If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Malware on Catskillhiker.com webiste

Discussion of anything else that doesn't fit into the other forum categories.
TimMallery

Malware on Catskillhiker.com webiste

Unread post by TimMallery »

Anyone know who owns the Catskillhiker.com website? A whois only shows the hosting company. It has been hacked, and I don't know how ofter the owner checks on it. I would strongly urge Internet Explorer users NOT to visit this site! It will probably try to install malware. That's what happened when my message forum got hacked.
dave

Re: Catskillhiker.com webiste

Unread post by dave »

We have heard that they have had problems before. The site and some of their friends are not too friendly to some of the people here. So, we don't have any Email contact with them.

It is our understanding that their site's webmaster uses mid-hudson cable for Internet access. MHC servers are just crawling with malware and viruses. According to a tech there they don't filter them. It would easy for his pc to become infected, and this would spread to the website once he uploaded the files.

We have a very aggressive isp who monitors our site, and filters for malware and viruses. This eliminates many problems for us. We are also very picky who is allowed to be a user. 3/4 of the applications we get for membership are not even from North America. We also block certain IP address blocks that are known to cause problems. These are the group of people who install malware and viruses.

Better to have a small group of great people, instead of a huge list of people. It only takes a few bad people to ruin a forum, and cause misery to others.

We are going to see if we can Email someone who might be able to contact them regarding the malware on their site.
mike

Re: Malware on Catskillhiker.com webiste

Unread post by mike »

Dave just called me. I just Emailed a friend who can contact them.

You might want to contact the isp. They can take the site down until the malware is cleared.