If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Thoughts on the Osprey Kestrel line of backpacks?

Recreational Gear. This includes, hiking boots, GPS, backpacks, kayaks, climbing gear, etc. Can also post items you would like to sell.
LJ2484

Thoughts on the Osprey Kestrel line of backpacks?

Unread post by LJ2484 »

Hey.I'm LJ. New to the forum. I'm looking into getting a new pack and have been seriously investigating the Kestrel line of bags. Just looking for opinions and feedback from anyone that owns one or if anyone else has any other suggestions as far as brands go. I'm looking for a bag that I can use atleast 3 season for hikes and possibly overnighters. Up until this point I have been strictly doing day hikes except for winter. I do have interest in winter hiking so if the bag can be used for winter day hikes as well all the better
mike

Re: Thoughts on the Osprey Kestrel line of backpacks?

Unread post by mike »

Osprey seems to be the favorite of hikers. 90% of the serious hikers in the Catskills use Osprey.

Two features that people look for: (1) The Air suspension system. Keeps your back from getting sweaty. (2) The water bladder system. The water tube has a problem of freezing up when it is below 32 degrees.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Osprey is the preferred pack in the Catskills.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

+1 for Osprey. Good pack.
LJ2484

Unread post by LJ2484 »

Thanks everyone.now ive just gotta get out to a store and check them out
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

too much money to spend on a day pack. Some things you don't need to spend a lot on, I am of the opinion that bags are bags. I'll take the $20 special on clearance at walmart over a $150 osprey just because it has a special patent comfort back system. Got back problems after a hike? Do some lat pulldowns and some rows during the week and you won't even feel it.

The overnight packs are ridiculous priced. I think my freind paid over $300, when I got a jansport on clearance for $79. The brand name bags I don't see getting any more use out of than any other bag. I don't see people climbing more mountains, or having more fun climbing mountains just because they got one brand bag over another. Maybe the expensive gear will last longer, but I'm sure by the time my gear wears out I'll want to replace it just the same.

My favorite bag by far, I got for winter I have a waterproof Outdoor Research dry comp sack. It runs for about $50. It's super big and is basically just a large dry sack with arm straps. The thing could get thrown in a water or anywhere in the snow and don't have to worry about water getting in or my dry clothes getting wet. It's got two daisy chains sewn onto the back that I strap my snowshoes too, and it's got plenty of volume for the extra winter clothing I bring like my fleece or shell when i get too hot and take them off. It's got barely any back support, but that's the only downfall, it takes some clean packing to get everything in there and formed right on the back. There's no bladder option, since it seals like a drysack but those tubes mostly freeze in the winter anyways. I keep my waters on the outside and if they start to freeze drop a handwarmer in the bottom and it unsticks em.

Here's me with it 1/2 full, If full it will be the complete length of my back.

Here's me with my snowshoes strapped on.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I understand your position Jon. My summer day pack is a 10-year-old large waterproof fanny pack that has seen better days. My winter pack is a waterproof ski pack. And, it is just as old. My wife recently got an Osprey, and I have to admit, it is pretty nice. On sale too. But, until my packs wear out, I am not inclined to buy another one. You can sometimes find Ospreys on sale, so look around before ordering one. If function is the primary goal, then Osprey is the one. If price is the factor, then there are many other options.