If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Garmin 60csx

Recreational Gear. This includes, hiking boots, GPS, backpacks, kayaks, climbing gear, etc. Can also post items you would like to sell.
erik7181

Garmin 60csx

Unread post by erik7181 »

Hi,
I just bought a new garmin 60Csx. Its my first handheld outside the military.
I was not aware it did not have topographical maps, so I have to buy them.
I'm going to buy the preloaded SD card. But does anyone know which is the best ones to buy, do I get the north east maps? I will only be hikeing in the catskills. Thanks. Erik
mike

Re: Garmin 60csx

Unread post by mike »

Buy the 24k Northeast Map. Rich K just bought one. Maybe he can tell you more.
erik7181

I bought the one preloaded on the SD card. so when it comes i just pop it in and its done or is there a whole process to it?
erik7181

Got the pre loaded SD card with the pre loaded topo northeast maps. It is well worth the money, and although i haven't used it on the trail yet i will be using it this coming week so i will keep everyone posted. But for anyone thinking of getting the Garmin 60csx, it is a great GPS for beginners. and the topo maps are a must have and seem worth the money ( $100)
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought the Garmin 62S and the 24K Northeast map. Overall, I'm very happy with the unit, but there are a couple of caveats you should be aware of:

1. The unit is NOT intuitive. Try to hook up with someone who is experienced with GPS units for assistance. I was very fortunate in that I met up with Mike, who took the time to show me the ropes. Without Mike's assistance, I would have been lost (literally and figuratively...). Even worse, the instruction manual is worthless and Garmin's customer support is terrible. I called the 800 number with a few questions. The guy was terse (borderline rude) and refused to assist me unless I uploaded the latest firmware. Ridiculous!!

2. I agree purchasing the 24K Northeast map is essential. However, please be advised the maps do NOT show trails! You read correctly. They are mainly contour maps and that is all. I was VERY disappointed after meeting up with Mike for a day of hiking only to find the unit did not show a single trail in the entire North/South Lake region and the area around KHP.

Please do not consider my points to be reasons not to buy a GPS. In spite of the disappointments, I'm glad I have it, and I now feel a bit more "empowered" when I bushwhack.

Rich