If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hiking Boots

Recreational Gear. This includes, hiking boots, GPS, backpacks, kayaks, climbing gear, etc. Can also post items you would like to sell.
Birdman

Hiking Boots

Unread post by Birdman »

My name is Ed. I am not new to the Catskills but new to this forum. I will be retiring in 2012 and moving permanently up to the Catskill region. I want to invest in a good boot that provides great traction knowing many times I've encountered slippery wet conditions on the trails. There are so many boots on line,reviews etc its tough to sort out. Looking at a three season mid-weight boot. Any suggestions? Thanks!
mike

Re: Hiking Boots

Unread post by mike »

Welcome to the forum Ed.

Recommending hiking boots is pretty tough. The two most common boots are Asolo and Scarpa. The best bet is to find a pair that fit your feet. Unlike sneakers, they will not conform to your feet. I can't wear Asolo because I have a square toe box, and slightly wide feet. But, Asolo's are the most common boots used in the Catskill. So, for me Scarpa Escape GTX mountaineering boots work good. Keen's are nice for trail runners. Both Scarpa and Asolo have great treads on the bottom that are sticky. Keen's are not so great for sticky bottoms.

Two things that most people complain about is their toes touching from front of the boots. On longer hikes your toes can become very sore. The other problem is your heel lifting. When this happens, you will get blisters. My recommendation would be to try on as many boots as possible.

Make sure that you buy boots 1/2 to a full size larger then their street shoes. If your toes touch, they will get blisters and will be sore at the end of the day.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Many 3 season hikers are now using trail runners. They are like sneakers but beefier. The lighter weight allows you to hike more miles, but they are still more supportive then sneakers. Not so good in the deep mud. They do have some high tops for muddier section.
erik7181

Unread post by erik7181 »

I wear the new converse desert boots. You can find them at uscav.com. good luck Erik
bigsilk

Unread post by bigsilk »

Hi-Tec boots. Seriously. I've done some peakbagging in the Cats in them and I've NEVER had a blister. Sore heels, yeah, but nothing that's left me not able to go get water or wood. Mine are a really baseline model and have done me fine, even in cold weather. Want a good boot? The Altitude. Inexpensive, full leather, waterproof - good boot.
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

I did retire in June 2012. Just moved to Saugerties two weeks ago. Finally after a lot of unpacking, my son and I did Huckleberry Point on Thursday. I am going to need to buy new boots and I appreciate all of your advices. Best store(s) in region to try? Internet has a lot but rather try on for size. Thanks.Ed
mike

Unread post by mike »

Here are a couple options:

EMS in Albany
The Westerner in Greenville
Rock & Snow in New Paltz

Choose wisely. Make sure they fit like a glove and you could live in them. A small problem turns into a much larger problem on a long hike.
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

Thanks.Mike