If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

1-Person 3 to 4 Season Tent

Recreational Gear. This includes, hiking boots, GPS, backpacks, kayaks, climbing gear, etc. Can also post items you would like to sell.
GeneralGrizzly

1-Person 3 to 4 Season Tent

Unread post by GeneralGrizzly »

Good Afternoon All,

New to the forum and have been enjoying reading through all of the previous material everyone has contributed.

I haven't seen topics about tents much. I realize that some folks may only be day hikers and may not have the need for a tent. However, I have recently decided I needed to replace my Field and Stream 2 person 1 season tent with something that will keep me warmer in the colder weather. I am looking for something that will become my new universal tent. (if possible). Would like for it for either 1 or 2 people. Lightweight enough for backpacking but also warm enough for fall/winter camping.

I am curious if anyone has any positive or negative experience with backpacking and camping tents. Is there any favorite brands I should look into, any brands to avoid? Stories and experiences welcome.

Cheers,
Grizz
mike

Re: 1-Person 3 to 4 Season Tent

Unread post by mike »

Most hikers in the Catskills are day hikers. Those who do stay overnight, usually stay in a Lean-to. But, there are times when you do need a tent. As for a tent I usually look at the weight, and how easy is it to get into. For a 1-man tent I look for a tent in the 3 pound range. A little over 3 lbs is okay too. But, a 5 lb tent is too heavy to luge around. Some of our trails are quite steep. The good ones run about $300, but you can still get a bargain around $150.
GeneralGrizzly

Re: 1-Person 3 to 4 Season Tent

Unread post by GeneralGrizzly »

Thanks for the feedback on the tent. I live down on long island year round, so sometimes staying up on the peaks is a way to get more bang for your buck on a trip. My family has a summer house in the catskills that I can use as a base camp most of the time. For the southern peaks, its worth while to drive from the island to the peak rather than pass them up to go to the house. One day I'll live full time in the mountains.