If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Looking for Snowshoes

Recreational Gear. This includes, hiking boots, GPS, backpacks, kayaks, climbing gear, etc. Can also post items you would like to sell.
mike

Looking for Snowshoes

Unread post by mike »

After wearing out my current snowshoes, I have been looking at some new snowshoes. I have serious considered a number of different snowshoes.

MSR lightning ascents were my first choice. But, they keep breaking the cramp-ons and the company doesn't seem to care about fixing the problem. I like the lightness of them, but they are too thin and break. In the long term they will break and I will be disappointed. I could have the binding replaced with evo bindings, but they have broken too. My final conclusion is that they are not sturdy enough.

I then looked at the Tubbs Couloir. First I was looking at the 30" model, but everyone said that this would be a mistake. They said to ignore the mfg sizing chart. Get the 25" They are sturdy, and will last longer then me. They have awesome crimp-ons. They are heavy at 4.9 lbs. Heavy, but sturdy and reliable.

I also looked at the tubbs Flex Alps. Like them, but they are not as sturdy as the couloirs. I don't think that they will hold up as well as the couloirs. They weigh 4.4 lbs. 1/2 less then the couloirs. Not sure that I will be happy in the long run.

MSR are $200; Tubbs Couloir is $175; Flex Alps are $219.
mtnclimber

Re: Looking for Snowshoes

Unread post by mtnclimber »

A lot of people like the MSR's, but if they keep breaking, they are not worth it. It sounds like the company doesn't care either. The negative image of MSR just keeps growing.
dave

Unread post by dave »

I will be interested in what you think about the Tubbs Couloirs. I agree, MSR just do not hold up.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I purchased the Tubbs Couloir 25". Nice cramp-ons. I don't like the bindings. The rear strap is like a large rubber band. I find that the snowshoe drops off because of the design of the rubber band. I would have preferred a different nylon strap. I also find that the front straps come lose also. I found that climbing uphill on hardpack was very good. But, loose snow didn't work as good as it should. Both uphill and downhill.
dave

Unread post by dave »

I have heard that the Tubbs are better then the MSR. Some say that the Tubbs is better for climbing uphill, and the MSR are better downhill. Mike, can you confirm this?
mike

Unread post by mike »

Hiking with other people with MSR's they seem to hold better going downhill. But, not uphill. I just don't think that the unreliability of the MSR makes them worth it. MSR management seems to have tunnel vision on making them as light as possible with no regard to reliability. From what I have heard, 2011 models will not be any better. MSR management still has their heads in the sand on the binding breakage problem. My recommendation is to avoid them like the plague.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Hiking downhill with the Tubbs on hardpacked snow was excellent. No slippage at all. But, with deep powder, the MSR's might be better. I am concerned how well the plastic bedding will hold up. One of them is starting to rip. I will let you know soon if the problem gets worse. Very impressed with the aggressive cramp-ons on hardpack snow. They didn't bend when I walked on rocks.
dave

Unread post by dave »

Maybe we can get a Review of the snowshoes from you in the future?
mike

Unread post by mike »

I plan on writing a review of them in the near future. I am also doing a rechargeable battery review.
dave

Unread post by dave »

Sounds great Mike! Batteries are an important subject.