If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

shots fired? south mountain

Discussions about government and how it affects living and recreation in the Catskill Mountains. This includes DEC, DEP, and local governments. (NO Left or Right talking head political discussions)
Jon

shots fired? south mountain

Unread post by Jon »

So we were camping at north south lake this weekend and I had to get up early to go to work this morning (9/1) I went to bed at around 8 last night (8/31). I woke up middle of the night checked my clock and at 3:27 AM rolled over and went back to bed. I then woke up again at 4:56 and went to the bathroom. On the way I heard what sounded like gun shots. They were loud and echoing off of North mountain. The shots were not quick but spaced maybe 20-30 seconds apart. It sounded like they were coming from the direction of south mountain. Either south or southwest. I was trying to think if they could have been far away but they sounded loud and the echo report was quick as if the sound didn't have to travel far to bounce off north mountain.

However, there were no campsites in that direction. We were staying in the last loop before the beach. I know there is no camping over there, unless someone was staying off the trails on south mountain. Over the span of 15- 16 minutes I heard at least 5 maybe 7 or 8 more shots some followed by coyotes yipping but far off to the south that it was just barely audible. I drove out and heard maybe one more shot on the way. I was gonna stop at the ranger booth and see if they had heard but it was so early it wasn't staffed yet.

Anyone heard about any incidents happening early this morning? Should I contact anyone? What's the jurisdiction for that area? Or is sustained gunfire at 5 AM just one of those things that no one is bothered with up there?
mike

Re: shots fired? south mountain

Unread post by mike »

I don't think they can hunt that close to the campground. And, I don't think they can hunt at night. You could call Region 4 DEC.

There is going to be a short bear hunting period in September, but I don't think it has started yet.

Campground Phone: (518) 589-5058
Regional Office Phone: (518) 357-2289