If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

DEC Commissioner Grannis Fired!

Discussions about government and how it affects living and recreation in the Catskill Mountains. This includes DEC, DEP, and local governments. (NO Left or Right talking head political discussions)
dave

DEC Commissioner Grannis Fired!

Unread post by dave »

On Thursday, October 21, 2010, NYS Governor Paterson's aide Larry Schwartz fired DEC Commissioner Grannis after learning that Grannis had written a letter criticizing Peterson's attempt to layoff another 209 employees. The letter was then leaked to the press. Larry Schwartz asked for Commissioner's resignation by telephone. But, Grannis refused, and Schwartz instantly fired Grannis. Larry Schwartz and the Governor Paterson cited reasons for firing DEC Commissioner Grannis as insubordination and poor performance.

DEC Commissioner had already removed 260 employees out of their 2,000 employee staff. Paterson now wanted another 209 jobs removed. This would make the reduced over 20% of the overall staff. If Cuomo is elected, he promises to remove another 20%. It is assumed that Paladino would removed even more.

But, is the firing that important? It is reasonably assumed that Cuomo would replace Grannis with his own pick in January of 2011. Obviously, Paladino would have his own DEC Commissioner. Leaving the job several months early would not make that much of a difference to Grannis.

Over the years, the DEC has continued to cut back more-and-more on hiking project, and most have been replaced with volunteers. Grannis also removed the Assistant Forest Rangers. Most of the funds have been transferred over to the environmental causes. Most hikers take the attitude that they will find a way to make due with whatever situation the DEC presents or is forced into. Many are suggesting that they create more volunteer programs to fill the gaps.

Many of the environmental groups are very upset by the removal of DEC Commissioner Grannis. Grannis has been a champion of many environmental groups.

New York State gets a large part of their revenue from Wall Street. When Wall Street crashed, so did the tax revenue. This has caused significant problems with the overall NYS budget. Paterson has grappled with the reduction and has fought hard to get other lawmakers to see the revenue problem. The new governor will continue this trend.
mtnclimber

Re: DEC Commissioner Grannis Fired!

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I wonder if some of the problems between Paterson and Grannis came from the avalanche of new regulations put out by the DEC. Some of the new regs were controversial. All those new regulations would require a lot of man power to write, implement, and enforce.

I think I read somewhere that they reduced the staff from 3800 to 2800, and they wanted to reduce another 200.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I would suspect that this might have been part of the problem. But, I would venture to guess that it is probably very complicated. But, when this happens it generally boils down to a difference of ideology. Sounds like Grannis was defiant.

One of the big issues is that more-and-more money is being shifted from land management to environmental issues.

It will be interesting to see who Cuomo will pick. I seriously doubt that he would ask Grannis to return. Cuomo will have to continue to downscale the DEC. He has already promised another 20% reduction.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

The DEC just stopped the outdoor wood furnace regulations that were in the final phase. This was a hotly debated issue.
dave

Unread post by dave »

We have just learned that 40-45 employees of Belleaye Ski Center will lose their jobs Dec 31.
dave

Unread post by dave »

Grannis has been hired as first deputy comptroller in the office of Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli. It is an odd appointment. Grannis is an attorney, and attorneys are usually lousy at managing money.