Fishing North/South Lake

Discussions about outdoor activities concerning water. Including, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, fishing, etc.

Fishing North/South Lake

New postby Mike G » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Why doesn't the DEC stock North/South Lake? I have fished here for 50 plus years and it has always been terrible. The best catch is a chain pickerel, never any large mouth bass. It seems it would be a great lake for large mouth bass.
Mike G

Re: Fishing North/South Lake

New postby mike » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:35 am

The previous DEC commissioner was an avid fisherman. That might have had something to do with it. There is a lot of ice fishing there in the winter.
mike

New postby Mike G » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 pm

mike wrote:The previous DEC commissioner was an avid fisherman. That might have had something to do with it. There is a lot of ice fishing there in the winter.

I'm confused with your answer. If he was an avid fisherman then why did not stocking have something to do with it????
Mike G

New postby mike » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Avid fishermen are more interested in trout being restocked in streams. Avid fishermen would not be interested in restocking North-South lake. Ice fishing at the North-South lake usually results in catching a lot of Perch. Sorry that you misunderstood my statement.
mike

New postby Mike G » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Now I understand, thanx. I'm an avid fisherman but to me that means not limiting myself to one kind of fish. I love catching all types. You mentioned ice-fishermen catching perch, that is all i have ever caught in South Lake, with an occasional chain pickerel. I guess some things never change. It's still a beautiful place.
Mike G

New postby Mike G » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:56 am

I contacted the DEC and asked about largemouth Bass in North/south Lake here is the response which was very enlightening:

We don't raise largemouth bass, so we don't stock them anywhere in the state. In general, we believe the bass population in a lake, once established, does not need further stocking. There may be other actions that could help the bass population, such as habitat improvement, new regulations, or a reduction in some other fish species that was preying on bass fry. The issue with North/South Lake is mostly the general infertility of the water in a high mountain lake. The conductivity of the water was 16 when I last tested. That is very low.

On occasion, we would move bass between lakes, but with the current concern regarding fish diseases, we no longer move any wild fish between water bodies. However, we do raise tiger muskies, and for the last 3 years we've been stocking them in North/South lake. I'm hoping that the introduction of muskies might also thin out the stunted yellow perch population. So, you might want to try fishing for some new species.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Daniel Zielinski
Aquatic Biologist
NYSDEC
Mike G

New postby mike » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:08 am

Nice explanation. Was surprised by the Tiger muskies. Good info to know.
mike

Return to Water - Fishing, Swimming, Canoeing, Kayaking, etc