If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

BlueBird

Discussions about all wildlife, trees, plants, flowers, and geology
Birdman

BlueBird

Unread post by Birdman »

Having moved from Connecticut to Saugerties two months ago, it was refreshing to see a Bluebird today around lunch time. First for me in about 5 years.
mike

Re: BlueBird

Unread post by mike »

When I was growing up around Woodstock (Zena area), I never saw them. But, back then they sprayed the area with DDT, and this killed many of them. You see them often in Northern NY. But, they are becoming more common in the Hudson River valley. They are such a pretty bird.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I don't see them very often. Probably find some up in the fields in Coxsackie.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

I see them all the time in the summer in Niskayuna, but I know where they nest in the wildflower meadows along the bike path. (There's a volunteer group that puts up bluebird nesting boxes so that the starlings don't drive them out.)
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

Beautiful birds! One of the sweetest melodies there is, in the woods! Nothing of a rarity over on this side of the river (Rhinebeck area in particular). They nest alongside a wetland that I have access to. Every spring they congregate in the same spot and aren't very shy. I've seen up to eight at a given time in this place. :D
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

Thanks for the great feedback all. I had noticed a lot of boxes in my neighborhood. Consulted with a neighbor and indeed bluebird. This website has been great. Now that I'm permanently up in the Catskills looking forward to enjoying the mountains full time. I am an avid hiker.