If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Old tory fort on Kaaterskill Mountain Range

Anything related to history in the Catskill Mountains
mike

Old tory fort on Kaaterskill Mountain Range

Unread post by mike »

I know about Brant's Fort at the bottom of Roundtop and KHP. But there is also another fort. It was long believed to be near Tory Fort on the opposite side. I have a map showing it on the ridge of Roundtop and KHP. It is right near the old west access trail to KHP. Anyone want to investigate?
Last edited by mike on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexis

Re: Old fort on Kaaterskill Mountain Range

Unread post by alexis »

Okay, I'm in.
dave

Unread post by dave »

If you can find it, it would make a nice article for our new magazine.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I was suppose to hike Slide-Cornell-Wittenberg on Saturday with the MTHS.org, but it appears that weather may cancel this hike. Maybe Sunday, I can check it out.
dave

Unread post by dave »

I think you should be able to find it. It seems that you have a pretty good map and idea exactly where it is. I look forward to hearing how you make out.

This fort has been missing for over 50 years, so I hope you find it.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think we found it. We had a difficult time finding it. The old map was difficult to reference, but appears to have been accurate. There is very little left. In a couple years, there will be no trace left. We will have to verify it with a historian. Need to find someone older then me.

The west access trail up KHP is there for 80% of the hike. The other 20% is gone. The hardest part was the ledge along Roundtop. I think we were one ledge too high. It was the largest ledge, so we thought that it would be the best to cross. It was filled with large jagged boulders that were moss covered. Very rough traveling. I trace of the trail on the ledge. Next time I would try to stay on the lower ledge. It was very difficult getting up to the ledge we were on. Then we had to drop another 50 feet once we got the col. Next time, I would try the lower ledge. If this is where the trail is, then the hike might be much easier.

the flat section around 3,000' was wonderful. Beautiful conifer forest. Lots of bears everywhere. Lots of caves also. Lots of places where bears would rest in the grass.

The last section to the top of KHP was terrible. I think we drifted off the trail. Very dense conifer trees.

My GPS stopped near the top of KHP. Then I lost the Rock-n-roller. That part sucked.

I want to go back. Hopefully with another person.
dave

Unread post by dave »

Sounds like a nice hike. Sorry to hear about your GPS. Will nice if you can confirm the Tory Fort location.
alexis

Unread post by alexis »

The hike sounded pretty rough. Glad I didn't go. Especially the ledge on Roundtop. I will be excited to see pictures, even though it sounds like there is not much to see. Surprised you didn't see a bear.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Here is a picture of the old Tory Fort in the col of KHP and Round Top Mountain:

I a taking the picture from inside the doorway. You can still see 2 tiers of the wall on the middle-right side of the screen. The moss is on the floor. You can also see some of the other rooms.

Talked with a local historian. He said that the fort was right where I looked. Said that there would be very little left now. Also said that the purpose of the fort was to catch defectors during the revolutionary war.

I would like to return and measure the rooms out. I would also like to find the right ledge for the trail, and get an updated gps tracks.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Cleaned out Garmin's stock on the Rock-n-roller wheels, except for one. It really is one of the nicer trails in the Catskill Mountains. I am also interested in the road I found around 3,050'. It might have been built by George Harding when he wanted to rename High Peak to Lincoln Mtn and put up the Philadelphia Building on the peak. He didn't own the mtn, but that would not have stopped him.

If I can find the right path by Round Top Mtn, then it would be an easy hike. It would even be possible to ski snowshoe to the top. Sort of a hidden trail at this point.