If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hotel Kaaterskill

Anything related to history in the Catskill Mountains
TimMallery

Hotel Kaaterskill

Unread post by TimMallery »

Love the Hotel Kaaterskill page, but the picture at the top is the Grand Hotel at Highmount, not the Kaaterskill.
dave

Re: Hotel Kaaterskill

Unread post by dave »

Welcome to the forum Tim

Yup, that is the wrong hotel. We really screwed up on that picture. I think we got the picture from the Lib of Congress. We must have downloaded the wrong picture, or it was mixed in with Hotel Kaaterskill.

Looking at the page, we should have a link to your site too. We somehow missed that one too. You have some great pictures of the hotel on your page.
TimMallery

Thanks, I'll put a link to your page on mine. I just got a nice 5x8 glass negative of the dining room with the waiters. Unfortunately, some of them are blurred because of moving during the long exposure.

I wish the Library of Congress would update the scans of the Kaaterskill. Some of the new scans from elsewhere in the Catskills are amazing, but the Kaaterskill images are the old grainy ones from the film internegative. They need to redo them from the original glass...
mike

Unread post by mike »

I think I am the one who downloaded the images. I probably got it mixed up with the wrong folder. I am sure we'll get it fixed very soon. Probably some late night project.

Yeah, the LOC really needs to rescan the images. New York State recently updated some of the images, but they display them with Adobe which will not allow you to download them easily. Some of the images are quite good. I do like the dining room image you have from the Kaaterskill Hotel on your site. It is really a good image. I don't know if the MTHS lost any photos in their fire a couple of years ago in Haines Falls.

There are a number of people locally who have pictures. At some point I would like to scan them in for a Digital Library for the Catskill Mountains. I am always concerned that we are going to lose a lot of history as people pass away. Has anyone thought of scanning some of the images locally?
TimMallery

Most of the historical societies have a scanning project. But they are all so local, no one is doing the region as a whole. That's what I was hoping to do with the Archive. But between my job and my health, it's hard to find time to work on it. I've been feeling a lot better lately, and trying to throw myself back in it.

By the way, I was just at the LOC and about 1/3 of the Kaaterskill images HAVE been rescanned! Time to rebuild my slide show...
CANOEBLAZER

Unread post by CANOEBLAZER »

Would love to see some of the photos mentioned but can't find the links.

Thanks,
Tim
mike

Unread post by mike »

Tim Mallary passed away a couple years ago.

We have some information about Hotel Kaaterskill here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/history-KH.html We haven't updated with with the latest LOC yet.

The MTHS took over Tim's web site after his death. You can still find it here: http://www.catskillarchive.com/home.htm Tim did update his site with the latest LOC pics.

If you have questions, just ask.
CANOEBLAZER

Unread post by CANOEBLAZER »

mike wrote:Tim Mallary passed away a couple years ago.

We have some information about Hotel Kaaterskill here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/history-KH.html We haven't updated with with the latest LOC yet.

The MTHS took over Tim's web site after his death. You can still find it here: http://www.catskillarchive.com/home.htm Tim did update his site with the latest LOC pics.

If you have questions, just ask.
Thank You Very Much