If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Ice Climbing Accident - Stony Clove

Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Skiing, Mountain Biking, Road Biking, Snowmobiles, Kayaking, Swimming, Canoeing, Trail-Running, Fishing, Hunting, Geo-tagging, etc
mike

Ice Climbing Accident - Stony Clove

Unread post by mike »

We have just received preliminary information about an ice climbing accident yesterday, January 5, 2011 in Stony Clove on Rt 214 in Greene County. The information we have is that a female fell 60 feet while climbing on Wednesday afternoon. She sustained injuries to her legs and arms. The status of her condition this morning is unknown at this time.

This area is known for it's East Craig, which is a Level 3 ice climbing route. It does require a long walk in to get to the climbing area. Cars often line up and down Rt 214 to climb in this popular region.

More information to come.
dave

Re: Ice Climbing Accident - Stony Clove

Unread post by dave »

She also had injuries to her hip. Four fire departments were called to help in the rescue.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

On Monday the ice climbing site warned ice climber to be aware of the warm weather. More specifically, some climbers were warning that the ice was delaminating in Stony Clove and it was not safe. They believed that it needed another week of cold weather to rebond to the rock. I don't know if this is the reason why she fell. It is an unfortunate accident, but she is alive. Hope she recovers fully soon.
UpstateNYStateofMind

Unread post by UpstateNYStateofMind »

Hey! I realize that this post is a little old, but I read what happened and flipped out. That poor woman! I can't imagine how awful and scary it must have been to experience something like that. Sking and climbing accidents are things that really do scare me. Any other information? Has the woman recovered or is she recovering?
Miriam
After visiting the Catskills, zoom ankle braces are things I'll be using for a while.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Generally when people survive it is hard to get information about their condition because of privacy laws. We all hope that she is recovering well and will recover soon.