If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Fire Tower on Red Hill

Aircraft Carrier Rock, Ashokan High Point, Balsam Swamp, Bangle Hill, Big Rosy Bone Knob, Cherrytown, Denmar, East, Flat Hill, Little Rocky, Mombaccus, Pople Hill, Red Hill, Samson , Spencers Ledge, Sugarloaf (sundown), Vernooy Falls
mike

Fire Tower on Red Hill

Unread post by mike »

Last weekend was a tough one. I hiked 22 miles and bagged 4 peaks. Way too much hiking, and not enough smelling the flowers. This weekend was going to be different. So, we decided to hike Red Hill Fire Tower. It is 1.4 miles to the top. Not a real difficult hike. But, it is quite lovely. It is a 2 hour drive for us to get there, but totally worth it.

After getting lost for a short period of time, we arrived around 11:30 AM at the DEC PA. It is less then 10 miles from the Denning PA. When we arrived we were overwhelmed with butterflies in the parking area. Mainly Red Admirals, but I did see a Northern Crescent butterfly. Got a few pictures of them. Signed in a the DEC registration box. Then we hiked up the trail to the summit. We took our time and arrived at the summit in about an hour.

The summit has a very nice Ranger Station and fire tower. Plenty of grass at the top for a nice picnic. Two picnic tables. On the summit there were plenty of Swallowtail butterflies. After having lunch we headed back down. We took our time.

We still had plenty of time, so we headed over to the Denning PA. We then hiked up to the Neversink Creek. We hiked a little ways up the Fisherman's Path before turning back. On the way back we ran into several groups of people. Some serious hikers, and some who were having difficulty and without water. We also heard a Barred Owl on the way back.

Red Admiral Butterfly

Minor stream crossing at the beginning of the hike

Very ample spring about 3/4 of the way up

Ranger Station at the summit

Red Hill Fire Tower

Ranger Station at the summit

View from the Red Hill Fire Tower
mtnclimber

Re: Fire Tower on Red Hill

Unread post by mtnclimber »

What a cute little hike. Only 1.4 miles to the top. Will have to try this one.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

hikes should be measured in smiles not miles
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

As a heads up. The parking lot is on an unmaintained road in the winter. I went to do this hike last weekend and couldn't get down the road, due to about a foot of snow. It would be worth putting a note on the hike description, for anyone thinknig of hiking this in the winter.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Good point! Last year they were plowing it. But, I did have a friend who drove down there and got stuck because it was too icy to drive back up. But, a note about winter access might be good.
Rty3000

Unread post by Rty3000 »

Relatively easy hike, some minor scrambling near the top. Beautiful views from the tower, does anybody know what wkeds the cab is manned so you can go inside? Amazing to think somebody actually worked up there!
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

There is group(name?) that coordinates volunteers to be tower greeters,explain the history,etc. for the summer usually memorial day through columbus day. When I did Red Hill a number of years ago in a summer there were greeters there.Was able to go into the cab. Even bought a patch. I know Overlook has greeters as far as I remember.
Rty3000

Unread post by Rty3000 »

Thanks for the info, Birdman. (sorry was away for a spell)